Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Recycling Creativity

You never know where you will find good reusable objects.   For years I have thought about using parts of used insulin pump infusion sets and reservoirs to make jewelry.  Tonight my DB ordered clams at a restaurant and it occurred to me that I pay for shell earrings.  So I had his clam shells put in a box and brought them home, cleaned and dried them and will add them to my collection of stones and beads that I intend to make earrings with just as soon as I get my left thumb joint reconstructed and healed.  If I decide not to use them for jewelry, I have some things I am collecting for a wall art project and they may fit in there.   I think my asking for the shells was a first for the waitress. 

A girl cannot have too many earrings and the bolder they look, the better.  I have several shell earrings already, including some made from dark brown and white striped land snail shells.  The great thing about shell earrings is you can make pretty large earrings that are very light weight. While I love snail shells, snails are disgusting creatures right up there with slugs and sea cucumbers.  

I've always thought nautilus shells (not huge ones) cut to expose the inside spiral structure would make great earrings.  I also have thought of making a nautilus shell quilt.  The nautilus is a design wonder.
I remember once I had a large live conch and decided to keep the shell.  Have you any idea how long it takes to remove a conch from its shell?  And do you know how stinky a dead conch gets?  This was not one of my better ideas. 

I see jewelry possibilities in so many things--mini cd's, empty thread spools, tea infusers.  My design ideas seldom translate into action, however.  That is probably a good thing and helps preserve what little dignity I have.

Here is another use for the conch shell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkuq6prZHoA&feature=related





No comments:

Post a Comment