Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Full Circle

In general I do not like country and western music.  I do like a lot of Blue Grass and what I call Texas Two Step.  One tune I really enjoy is Faded Love. I think Willie Nelson and Ray Price have the best version of it.  Presley's version sucks.  And Cline is divine.  While searching Youtube for Faded Love tonight, I came across Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.  Wills wrote the song and made it famous.  So, I thought, what the heck, why not check out the Wills and the Texas Playboys version. 


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FfxsDGHryo&feature=related

Guess what?  It is pretty darn good. I listened several times.  This is really weird because I used to despise and detest Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys. In fact, my dislike goes way back. I was newly married back in 1967 (I got married when I was two) and living in a garage apartment with Dearly Beloved in Panama City, Florida.  Each Saturday morning the radio alarm would go off and Bob Wills would be singing.  Now, Bob had a way of making a very nasal sounding "Ah Hah!" as his band played that drove me up the wall.  He sounded just like some little black mice that were in old cartoons I used to watch as a child.  They never spoke but made these irritating little sounds.  For many years, Bob Wills and these mice were closely linked in my mind and the mere thought of them would grate on my nerves.  So here I am 44 years later, actually enjoying Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.  This really bothers me because I am afraid it may be a sign I am getting old, and I absolutely refuse to do so.  I think disliking Wills again may be the only way to get around this.

No comments:

Post a Comment