Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Make Love, Not War... Is Timothy Leary in the Great Protoplasm in the Sky?

I just knocked myself offline in the middle of a rant. That may have been a good thing. I was ranting over the barrage of peace signs on everthing from underpants to sides of boxcars. Go into any store and you are bound to see a peace sign on quite a few items. Who wants this??? Does the fact that I would not be caught dead with a peace sign on anything I own mean I am a war mongering s.o.b.? Should I wear a peace sign to tell the world that I prefer peace to war? This has to be the work of some old hippies or young wannabe hippies who are stupid enough to see some sort of romance or glamor about the 1960s. Take my word for it, you do not want to go back to those times.

The peace sign on people's belongings appeals to me about as much as Miley Cyrus' image on everything. Perhaps designers and manufacturers just lack imagination and cannot come up with anything more creative and appealing. Perhaps that is why about each second or third generation we see a repeat of clothing styles. Of course, it is impossible to completely repeat the clothing. Fabric has changed so much--for the better, I might add--that the clothing just looks and hangs differently now. I notice this in period films all the time. Of course, being a fabricholic, I find it distracting when I watch a current film about 1950s bobby soxers and their blouses are not wrinkled from carrying school books and their cotton socks stay up. Things like this catch my attention and the whole movie just goes down the tube! I know, it is pathetic, but there you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment