Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Game of Thrones

You know a book is good when you start slowing down your reading near the end of the story because you do not want it to be over.   I am on the fifth book of  "The Game of Thrones" and am hoping the sixth book in the series will be released before I forget all the details of the first five books! I actually am glad I saw the HBO series prior to reading the books because there are so many characters that I needed faces to connect to them in order to keep them all straight. 

Another series I read last year and enjoyed was the "Millenium" series by Stieg Larsson.  I was a little sad when it was finished, also.

I was thinking about the Harry Potter books.  I think the kids who grew up with Harry Potter will always have special memories of waiting anxiously for the next book in the series to come out.  Same with the movies.  It was exciting to see so many kids actually wanting to read.  So much in children's books is just boring pablum.  It is wonderful when really well written books that spur the imagination are available.

The other thing I like about the Harry Potter books is that so many parents were reading them to or with their kids.  Even if the kids grow up and forget the story lines, they will remember sharing the reading experience with their parents.  What a great way to help foster a love of reading in a child.

I think it should be a rule that only after reading or listening to the books can children be allowed to see the movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment